Tuesday, April 20, 2010

April 2010

Angles and Lines

The saga of the eye continues. No further setbacks, but progress in the forward directions is very slow. At the last checkup, Dr. Mayron said that he wanted me to go back to Dr. Schiff in NYC for a consult before deciding to go ahead with the 'oil change'. That will probably happen in May/June. No perceptible change in vision.

Linda and I went to the Cape two weeks ago. Had a great week - very warm weather, very sunny. Did our usual things - P'Town, Sandwich, Chatham, etc. The most unique experience was a cooking demonstration/luncheon at the Cape Cod Art Association in Dennis with Paul Split. Fun program, and nice (light) lunch.

I broke down and bought a DSLR - the Nikon D5000. I like it. I still enjoy film photography, especially of the large format variety. The process is fun, and the results are very satisfying.

Am getting ready for a show in June and July at the Arkell Museum in Canajoharie. I have the images selected and the display designed - just need to get them matted and framed. The theme will be "Spaces" and the images will all be photographs that depict vacant interior spaces.


We have a tentative plan to go to California in August, but we haven't made any definite plans yet. Need to make sure that we understand what other things will be on the agenda for the summer before we lock into plane tickets.

I'm also thinking about a workshop at Peters Valley in July. It's been two years since I was last there. Tillman is doing a workshop on "Spirit of Structure" that should be fun.

Tried to mow the lawn today, but the lawn mower wouldn't start. Arghh! After spending most of the afternoon trying to get it going, we took it to Emerich's for service. They said that it could take a week. Linda wanted the lawn mowed last week but I didn't think it was needed. But now it's starting to look a little ragged. If I don't hear from Emerich's in the morning, I will have to look for someone to do it.

POE is this weekend in New Brunswick, NJ. I've started the process of transitioning to Lanny, and I've also started preparing to hand over the S1M stuff to Lynda Bernstein. I've enjoyed the experience of being EiC, but the time has come for someone else to step in. And while I enjoy the S1M stuff, I think the Society would be best served by someone else taking on that responsibility also.

This image is from a day trip that Linda and I did in February 2009 to Williamstown, MA. I finally got into the darkroom this past weekend to do some printing - not an awful lot to show for the morning, and two of the images were flawed because I had loaded the film backwards in the holder - the images were exposed through the film base and therefore aren't as sharp as they should be. This is an alleyway off the main commercial street in Williamstown, but the buildings are actually part of Williams College.

1 comment:

David said...

Louie, good to find your blog. Is the show still at Arkell?